1 cup (210g) red lentils, (rinse well)
3cm fresh ginger, grated
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 tablespoons (40g) tasteless coconut oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garam marsala
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
Brown rice (1/2 cup per person)
1. Place lentils, ginger, bay leaves and cinnamon in a large saucepan with 3 cups of cold water.
2. Bring to the boil; reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring to prevent sticking for 10-12 minutes.
3. Discard spices (cinnamon stick, bay leaves, etc.) and set aside.
4. Heat the tasteless coconut oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat.
5. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, garam marsala and chilli flakes and cook for a further minute or two.
7. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
8. Add the lentils to the pan and mix well.
9. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
10. Remove from the heat.
11. Stir in coriander and serve hot with brown rice.
If you have any comments in regards to this recipe, or would like to book a face-to-face, or distance consultation with me, please contact me at email@example.com or phone 040 991 4552.